How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55278
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter co-owns a house with her ex girlfriend, however

This answer was rated:

My daughter co-owns a house with her ex girlfriend, however my daughter solely pays the mortgage. Her ex-girfriend was arrested for assalting 2 police officers during a domestic dispute. My daughter and 6 yr old granddaughter were forced to move in with us. Her ex-girlfriend is unemployed, has refused to come to an agreement about the poroperty and will not move out . She has not paid a bill. Is partition the only solution ?My daughter has already paid over $14, 000 in Mortgage payments since january with no reimbursement from her Ex-girlfriend. Is partition the only solutuion. My daughter is afraidof the costs to her.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Unfortunately, your daughter has only a couple of options if the co-owner will not deal with this voluntarily. The first is the suit for partition which will force the sale of the house. The second is a suit against the ex for her share of the cost of the home. With the benefits of ownership so too come the burdens. So, your daughter can sue the co-owner for her share of all the costs, including the mortgage. Then, once she gets a judgment, she can put a lien on her ex's interest in the house and then foreclose on that lien to collect her judgment...thereby gaining ownership in that manner.

I hope this has given you information that has been
helpful to you. If the information seems more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up question, please remember that
there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because
I may be helping others or taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will my daughter be liable for all the court costs if it goes to partition and for the balance of the mortgage if the house is sold through partition?

The costs of partition will be deducted from the sale proceeds. The mortgage will be paid from the sale proceeds. If the sale proceeds are not sufficient, then if your daughter is the only one who signed the note, she would be the one liable to the bank. If they both signed the note, they would both have liability.
Richard and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you