How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rvlaw Your Own Question
rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
rvlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a Amherst, MA. My Korean friends gave me a used car

This answer was rated:

I live in a Amherst, MA. My Korean friends gave me a used car as a gift, and she came back to her country. When I tried to register my car, RMV didn't accept my apply. It's because there are scratched price and name on the back of the title. Giving me a form named 'Amending a title or adding a lien', they explained that the previous owner must apply for a duplicate title. And then bring a new and old title to the RMV. Here are my questions. 1) Submitting the form they gave me means applying for a duplicate title? And then is she able to get a new title? 2) Instead of submitting the form, is it possible to apply for a duplicate title on-line? 3) Does she have to sign her name on the back of the new title? And must both she and I go to RMV?

Hi and welcome to Just Answer

1. Yes. It is a simple procedure. I recently tried to sell my car but couldn't find the original title. I applied for a duplicate and was able to go through the sale.

2. Unfortunately no. The new title is issued by the Motor Vehicle Department directly with all the proper verification and labeled a duplicate title.

3. Yes. That is the only way for you to show that you are the new owner and can now register the car in your name.

But this is not legal advice. Please refer to the JUST ANSWER disclaimer and rule on this site. It is applicable even though I am a New York attorney and your question may relate to a NY matter. You have to consult with an attorney in your state and discuss this matter with him or her.

To find an attorney, go online to This is a nationwide directory we lawyers use ourselves to find highly qualified legal specialists in various fields of law. These lawyers are NOT in Martindale because they paid to be included. They are there because they are rated as QUALIFIED by other lawyers in their field of expertise and geographic area as it applies to your kind of case. The process is this: other lawyers are asked to fill out questionnaires giving their opinion of the quality of the work of the law firm that ultimately appears in Martindale.

The site is organized geographically and by legal specialty. Consult with two or three and select the one you are most comfortable with. The Martindale listing will have the names of current or past clients. Contact those clients as references for the firm.

Please press 3 or 4 or 5 below so that I may get credit for assisting you.
Please do NOT press 1 or 2 since that will result in a negative rating for me which
you may not have intended If you want further information or clarification, just ask before you accept my answer and give a rating.

Also, I ask you to be fair in your rating. For instance, these should NOT have received a negative rating:

a. A customer says "I ALREADY KNEW THAT".....but the expert didn't know what the customer knew or didn't know.
b. A customer wants to hear "YES YOU CAN".....but the certified legal expert says "LEGALLY…..YOU CAN'T".
c. The answer is short, but ACCURATE. A customer simply wants a longer answer.

Thank you for reading this and for your consideration. I'm always ready to help further.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I appreciate your answer. I want to ask more specifically. She can't come to RMV with me, because she is in Korea. If I get a duplicated title(new one she will get by submitting the amending form and her sign on the back of the new one), then can I come to RMV alnog with Rmv1 and gift affidavit?

rvlaw and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you