How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My renting neighbor was evicted by the court. He somehow obtained

This answer was rated:

My renting neighbor was evicted by the court. He somehow obtained a key for my home and moved all his stuff into mine. Once I discovered what he had done I had him arrested for trespassing. He's currently in jail. The Sheriff department said that I cannot remove his property. He moved in clothes, furniture, art work and music equipment. They said I would be liable. Why?

What should I do?

Thank you for your question.

The sheriff is incorrect, you CAN remove his property but you cannot throw his property out. In other words you are free to store his items elsewhere but you cannore permanently remove his items. The reason is because by putting his items into your premises, the neighbor created a bit of a 'bailment' situation. A bailment is when a relationship is created where one party obtains physical rights over property but no title. An example may be a valet who moves your car, or if you move your items into storage--both situations involve a third party who has physical control over items but no actual ownership. By moving his items inside, he made you the bailee of the items. A bailee is responsible for reasonable care of the items, meaning if they are damaged, lost, or stolen due to your negligence, you would be liable to him for replacement costs. On the other hand if you give him wirtten notice and a deadline by which time to remove the items, should he fail to do so, you can deem the items as abandoned and then pursue a sale of those items so as to cover your expenses.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you