How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 39048
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was charged with V C Section 23103 in CA. This was not

Resolved Question:

My son was charged with V C Section 23103 in CA. This was not witnessed by an officer, but he was blocked in a parking space while someone called the police and made a citizen's arrest for entering the parking lot too fast (15mph). Should I hire an attorney?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
If the goal is to defeat the charge, then your son needs a lawyer. The case is probably one of the easier to win, because it will be one citizen's against another, and that does not usually equate to proof beyond all reasonable doubt. However, without a lawyer to cross examine the witness at trial, the judge could decide to do what traffic judges usually do: find the driver guilty no matter what the facts may be.

Hiring a lawyer frequently causes the judge to treat the case with more objectivity, if only because the judge knows that you're shelling out money for the lawyer, so that operates as punishment even if the judge finds the defendant not guilty.

For a traffic defense lawyer referral, see this link.

Hope this helps..

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation. If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

socrateaser and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you