How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my father was deceased on july 16,2012. I have a will in my

Customer Question

my father was deceased on july 16,2012. I have a will in my father's safe deposit box in fayetteville,north carolina. now the bank refused to let me open the safe deposit box, but I have the keys to the safe deposit box.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about the fact that your father has passed away.

Were you an authorized user on the safe deposit box account and were you ever given an access to the safe deposit box by the bank?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, just because you have a key to the safe deposit box, the bank cannot legally allow you to gain access to your father's deposit box without a proper court order.

In order to obtain a court order, you would need to consult and retain local probate attorney, who will be able to open an estate for your father in the local probate court and request this court to issue an order for the bank to turn over the contents of the safe deposit box to the estate.

You can use these well trusted and reputable attorney information/referral websites to find a local probate attorney in your area to help you resolve this legal issue: