How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. To Whom it May Concern:I had an injury work

This answer was rated:

Hi. To Whom it May Concern: I had an injury work settlement about 14 months ago. Every thing appears fine after the settlement until I start getting notifications of medical bill expenses from the hospital where I was treated therefor. I contacted the Firm and the person that was in charge of the case on countless occasions since then. They said to have send letters to correct that problem, because it was against the law for me to pay for my own work accident expenses while I was on duty at my employer's site. Still Throughout all this time they never solved this settlement negative aftermath. In fact, the Firm has detached from me by not answering my letters or calls at all. Actually the situation has worsened off, the hospital where I was treated, it referred the medical bills to a collection agency to try to force me to pay for those undeserved bills. They have threatened to report me to the credit bureau agencies to spot my excellent credit rating. Please advise me what should I do to resolve this ongoing situation once and for all ? Expecting a reply from you on the above explained matter ASAP Thank you.



I need some further information before I can answer your question.

Was the settlement for a workers compensation claim or was this a settlement against a third party that was not your employer?

Have you received funding of the settlement yet?

Did you inform your attorneys that the hospital had provided medical services related to the injury and did they obtain the medical bill regarding those services as part of the legal claim?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The related case was for a workers compensation claim whereas my employer ( a big hospital ) has insured all employees with a big insurance company. The attorney was aware that the hospital was providing medical services. Unfortunately, I don't have with me a copy of the original settlement aggrement. The originals are at the lawyer's office. Initially on this matter, they told me that it was against the law for the hospital to try to pass the medical bills unto me. OK Mr. Norris, expecting your sound advice on this matter. Thank you.


Florida law does not allow a settlement of past covered medical expenses related to a workers compensation injury. Your attorneys were correct on that account. This should have been paid by the workers compensation insurance carrier prior to funding your settlement. In this regard, the hospital may have waived its right to payment.

However, this of course doesn't solve your problem. Your attorneys are ignoring you and the hospital is chasing you for payment. Here's what you should do:

1. Send a certified letter to your attorneys demanding that they handle this under the workers compensation claim file they were handling for you. Include with it a copy of the hospital bill. Set a time limit of 5 days from the date they receive the letter for them to respond to you.

2. If they don't respond within that time, contact the Florida State Bar and file a complaint against the attorneys.

3. Contact the Florida Division of Workers Compensation and tell them that you need to reopen a claim for payment of a medical bill which the insurance carrier has failed to pay and which was incurred prior to your settlement. The workers compensation insurer has to pay the bill. Also tell the Division that your attorneys are refusing to contact you and that you request the help of an ombudsman in the handling of this matter.

4. Contact the hospital's billing department and inform them that they should seek payment of the bill under your workers compensation claim. They may request that you provide them with the claim number information, etc., which you will need to have handy. Tell them to stop collection efforts because this is a bill that should be submitted under your workers compensation claim.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need further information or would like to discuss this issue more.

TexLaw and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Mr. Norris for your sound legal advice. When the outcome of this case is finished, I let you know the ending positive expected results.



Thank you Mr. XXXXXXXXXX. I hope that your case works out well. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate my service so that I might receive credit for my work. Best of luck, ZDN

TexLaw and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you