TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Im a computer consultant. I have a client that owes me a lot

I'm a computer consultant. I have a client that owes me a lot of money and has not paid me since December of 2011. I have not done any work for them since March 2012 due to money they owe me. I can't work for free and have to spend my own money on equipment for them. Out of the money that they owe me about half of it is for hardware (Routers and Switches) that they haven't paid me for.

Do I have the right to go to this client's work place and take back all the hardware that they never paid me for?
Do you have a written contract with the client?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No

You have entered into an oral agreement with the client to provide computer related services for them. Part of this agreement was that you would purchase equipment for them and install the equipment for them in exchange for payment. You have upheld your end of the bargain, but they have refused to uphold theirs and have breached their contract with you.

Unless there is a specific agreement that the equipment purchased pursuant to your agreement contains a right of repossession, then you likely do not have a right to repossess the equipment. Instead, you would need to sue for breach of contract and conversion. The law is pretty clear that in order to give you a right to repossess personal property such as this, you need to specifically retain a security interest in the property in a written agreement.

Please let me know if you need further information or have more questions on this subject.

-ZDN

I'm writing to follow up with you to see if you need any more help on this question.

Remember, I do this for a living, and the only way I earn money is when you rate my answer positively. This service allows you to ask attorneys questions without having to go to a law office and pay a substantial amount more in attorneys fees. In order to keep this going though, attorneys like me need to get paid. Its only fair to let you know that a negative rating results in only the website keeping your money and not paying the attorneys who have worked on your question.

Thanks for your consideration and I hope to hear back from you.

-ZDN