How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

PI Expert- I did not sign anything to say my hip is cured.

This answer was rated:

PI Expert- I did not sign anything to say my hip is cured. But it has been about 10 years since the accident.

Thanks for using our service. I need some more information from you before I can provide you with a full answer.

1. How did your hip get hurt?

2. When you say you did not sign anything, are you referring to a lawsuit or an insurance settlement?

3. In what state did the accident occur?

4. Were you at work at the time?

5. Has there been any intervening event between the accident and now that might have caused a re-injury? If so, what?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was on the clock for my hospital job off site. An insurance settlement. Indiana. No I just continue to work.
Because it has been ten years since the accident, you won't be able to sue anyone. The statute of limitations (which is basically a time limit for filing a lawsuit) has extinguished your right to suit.

That being said, you might have the right to continue a workers compensation claim. You stated that the settlement you had was with an insurance company. There are ways to reopen your workers compensation claim even though there was a workers compensation settlement.

This means you may be entitled to further future medical treatment paid by workers comp, and you my also be entitled to further disability payments because of the injury if it is preventing you from working.

The easiest way to go about reopening the claim is to contact the local workers compensation office and tell them you need to re-open a claim based on a onset of disability from the old injury. They will assist you with filling out the forms needed.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't want to sue I just want to get the medical help & if I continue to miss work they could compensate me. How do I find that number? Will the hospital that I worked for be required to give me the number?
You shouldn't have to sue, it should just be a re-opened workers compensation claim. You might have to go to a hearing or meeting with the workers compensation board to allow them to make a determination that the injury is the same one that happened to you at work a long time ago.

Do you have any of the old paperwork from your claim that you settled? This should have your claim number on it. A claim number will help the workers compensation board find you in the system. If not though, you need to contact them at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand tell them you need to reopen your claim for medical benefits based on a compensable injury. They should guide you from there.

If they don't, let me know what is going on and I will try to see what other information I can get you to help you.

You could potentially go through the hospital where you were injured as well, although I find the employer is generally less willing to help than the state is.

Good Luck,
TexLaw and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you