TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

MY NAME ISXXXXX ABOUT A YR

MY NAME ISXXXXX ABOUT A YR AGO I WAS A VICTIM OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND HE IS NOW LOCKED UP FOR A GTA HIS NAME ISXXXXX BORN 2 14 1994 WE HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD LIL GIRL HER NAME ISXXXXX I WAS WONDERING HOW TO GO ABOUT GETTING FULL CUSTODY OF HER BEFORE THEY RELEASE HIM
Hi Ms. Harris,

Applying for full custody is a procedure you will have to do in the local family law court.

If there is no custody order in place, you will need to file for a Solen Exclusive Custody of the child based on the fact that the father was incarcerated for domestic violence. This requires preparation of a written motion and argument in court. It is best to have an attorney represent you in these matters.

However, if you choose to try and do this yourself, you will have to gather the money for the filing fees (around $500.00) and prepare the motion. The form of the motion can be found at http://www.courts.ca.gov/1185.htm

This website also contains helpful instructions. You will also want to contact the family law facilitator ASAP to set up an appointment to go in and get help filling out these forms.

Don't be afraid to act now, as this is the best time to do so while he is still in custody.

Best of Luck,
ZDN