How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good evening, what is the process in acquiring property through

This answer was rated:

Good evening, what is the process in acquiring property through delinquent taxes
Generally, property seized by the government for delinquent taxes is sold at public auction. In Texas, you're looking at auctions that will be done at the local courthouse for ad valorem property taxes. All you have to do is simply attend the auction. Some counties prefer for you to register as a bidder with the Constables office prior to the auction, although most auctions allow you to register as a bidder the morning of. Contact your local Constables office for further information on registering as a bidder.

In most counties, you have to present a form to the county before you can be given a deed to the property.

In such counties, purchasers at tax sales must present to the sheriff or constable conducting the sale a written statement issued to the purchaser by the county tax assessor-collector stating that the purchaser owes no delinquent property taxes to the county and that there are no known or reported delinquent taxes owed by the purchaser to any school district or city with territory in the county. State law further prohibits the sheriff or constable in such counties from delivering a tax deed to any purchaser who fails to present to the officer the required written statement issued by the county tax assessor-collector.

The form you need to fill out is located at your county-tax assessor's office, or you can use the general form that is downloadable at:

The form must be filled out property and notarized, and you must present the filing fee (usually $10.00).

Please let me know if this doesn't answer your question or whether you need further information. I'm here to help.

Best of Luck,
TexLaw and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you