Ive shipped a musical instrument via USPS Express with insurance.

I've shipped a musical instrument...
I've shipped a musical instrument via USPS Express with insurance. The instrument was damaged in shipping. It is a guitar. Should the insurance claim cover both repairs AND any diminished resale value?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/8/2012
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Welcome and thank you for your question!

Do you have your insurance paperwork in front of you?
Yes.
yes.
Thank you. What does its small print say is covered?
I don't have the original form, just a copy of the front. It is a usps domestic or international claim form.
What was the value that you declared when you purchased the policy?
$2700.
Thank you. According to USPS,

What is evidence of value?
If the item is worth $100 or less, you can provide a statement that includes the purchase date, location, and price, as well as whether the item was new or used.

For more expensive items, evidence of value can include…

• a sales receipt.
  • an invoice or bill of sale.
  • a copy of the cancelled check or money order.
  • a credit card billing statement.
  • a final and complete transaction sheet indicating the amount deducted from an Internet account.
  • or other documentation indicating the amount paid.

For damaged items, you’ll also need to provide an estimate of the repair costs from a reputable dealer.

Thus, they will only cover the repair costs.

Now, keep in mind that if you can demonstrate the loss in value, that is a deduction you may be able to claim on your income taxes. See Form 4684: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4684.pdf

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.

JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney