xavierjd
xavierjd, Attorney
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
14261217

how long does it take to get a civil case to trial in Flor

how long does it take to get a civil case to trial in Florida?
Thanks for using Pearl.com It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

What kind of case is it?

How much money is being asked for?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a business/non compete case. The dollar amount will be for commissions earned in violation of non compete. 20-30k
Sorry....

Also, has a jury trial been requested?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Thanks.

Unfortunately, the answer is "it depends." HOWEVER, usually the quickest time it takes for a case to go to trial is about 4 months. This is unusual. Usually, it can take about a year or more to get a case a case to trial.

The above time frames are averages, and vary from county to county. Smaller counties may have cases heard more quickly, only because less cases may be filed.

Other things that affect the time it takes to get a case to trial are:

1. Mediation. If a case can be settled, obviously the case will not go to trial. The more cases that settle before or at mediation, the quicker other cases can go to trial.

2. The lack of enough judges. As you are probably aware, we have become a more litigious society. That being so, more cases are filed. However, additional judges have not been added to hear the additional cases.

3. Every judge has a "docket." That is the number of cases that are scheduled for any given day. If, for example, 5 cases are scheduled for trial on a day, and the oldest of the 5 goes to trial, then the other 4 have to be rescheduled.

4. A trial may take anywhere from 1/2 day to weeks. That being the case, the other cases have to be rescheduled.

And, so the story goes.....

So, there is no EXACT time that I can give you, but somewhere between 4 months and a year or more is the best guesstimation.

I hope you found this information useful.

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the "Continue Conversation." If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, please reply to me using theREPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button. If you specify what additional information you need, I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service that you seek.