Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My brother is in a nursing home and is very ill. His wishes

Customer Question

My brother is in a nursing home and is very ill. His wishes were that his sisters be the only ones to be allowed to visit him at the home. He specifically asked that certain people not be allowed to visit him. We notified those people and asked them to restrain from being at the home. We also notified the nursing home of his wishes. Yesterday he was visited by the people he had specifically asked not see him. I spoke to the police department and they notified me that there could be a Criminal Traspassing Warning issued by the nuersing home. The nursing home is saying that they need something official but are checking with the Home's administrator. Please help.

Maria Villarreal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
What the nursing home needs is a signed affidavit from your brother if he is mentally competent informing the home he does not want these people to be allowed to see him. Your brother can also give one of his sisters "Power of Attorney" and then that sister can give the home that PoA and a written instruction that certain people are not allowed to visit. If he is not mentally competent then you need to go to court and file a petition of guardianship/Power of Attorney and once the court grants you guardianship or PoA, then you can give the home instructions on restrictions of visitors.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”