MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

Hi, I believe that I am currently the victim of email harassment.

Customer Question

Hi, I believe that I am currently the victim of email harassment. Briefly, my neighborhood has a list serve where folks post about current concerns and happenings. I will paste the thread but I responded to an email disapariging our local police department and received a confrontational response from a member. My response to him was admittedly petty and I have apologized repeatedly. He continues to email me even though I asked that he stopped and in his latest email threatened to call my workplace and university to inform them of this disagreement.

David Atwater [XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX]
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:41 PM
No one is harassing you; the truth hurts is all. For reference, every exchange we've had has been forwarded to a dear friend of mine who not only actively serves the public here in our community but is a practicing attorney as well. I did this after you made the accusation or harassment.

Your view that your comment was "petty" wreaks of delusion. Have a nice helping of reality and look up the word vitriolic.

I will be contact the chair of your department as your being in the pediatric field and making such ugly comments about hoping that someone doesn't have children seems like something your department chair needs to hear about. I will be placing additional calls within the Duke umbrella as well.

Have a wonderful night.

Dr Caroline OzmentActions
To:
David Atwater ‎[XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX]‎
Sent ItemsTuesday, July 31, 2012 4:47 AM
Please stop sending me these harassing emails. I think it's best if our communication ends here. You are correct that my comment about "having children" was petty and I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone

David Atwater [XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX]Actions
To:
Dr Caroline Ozment
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:45 AM
You replied on 7/31/2012 4:47 AM.
I'd also like to thank you for your e-mail that states that you hope I "don't have children". It is now a part of a permanent digital record. I have the e-mail that I sent you and I have your response. Guess who ends up looking 'unkind'? I may just put it to a Trinity Park/OWD/NPNA/Duke Park listserv vote. Likely not, but my oh my; wouldn't it teach you a lesson that you've clearly never learned properly?

Who hurt you so,

David Atwater [XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX]Actions
To:
Dr Caroline Ozment
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:28 AM
Do you have any earthly idea what you're talking about?

Dr Caroline OzmentActions
To:
David Atwater ‎[XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX]‎
Sent ItemsTuesday, July 31, 2012 12:24 AM
Really? You behave this way to neighbors? I hope you don't have children to follow your unkind example.

Sent from my iPhone

David Atwater [XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX]Actions
To:
Dr Caroline Ozment
Monday, July 30, 2012 10:49 PM
You replied on 7/31/2012 12:24 AM.
If it made perfect sense, his e-mail would've shared the sentiments of the Captain's advice via Joanna. Perhaps you should reread Joanna and Sgt. Gunter's e-mails and see if they make perfect parallel sense to you again.

Good luck, (as I'm afraid you'll need it)

Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. What question can I answer for you regarding this matter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does this sound like harassment?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry email went before I was finished. Does this sound like harassment and if so, what are my legal rights?
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it does as you have requested that the communications cease and desist, yet they persist and there is no legal right or need to contact you regarding this matter. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.