Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If an attorney is a sitting trustee on a municipal board and

willfully withholds information about possible...
If an attorney is a sitting trustee on a municipal board and willfully withholds information about possible fraud in the Village, are there legal,professional standards he should be accountable to?
8/1/2012
The attorney has an ethical duty as well as a fiduciary duty to the board to report "known" fraud, not just possible fraud. This seeming symantic difference is a big difference legally, it is one thing for the attorney to be told about some possible fraud and another for the attorney to actually know fraud is taking place and he only has an ethical and fiduciary duty to report the latter. If he has withheld evidence of a fraud, this is breach of duty to the village board he represents.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

As it turns out , there was no fraud. When he was told 2 months ago he did not know if it was true or false. There was a resident who told him about possible fraud. He did not bring that forward to the board but 2 months later brought forward when asked on an audit report. As an attorney and elected official did he have a professional responsibility to bring even the suggestion of fraud 2 months ago forward? And me as President of the board, do I have any recourse with this attorney/trustee? Thank you!!!
No, he did not have a duty to bring up the "suspected" fraud, as I said, he had a fiduciary and ethical duty to bring up fraud of which he had knowledge, this is a big difference legally even though it does not seem to be a big difference or seems to be playing word games to the general public. As there was no known fraud the attorney has no duty to disclose it to the president or any other member of the board. Had he learned that there was indeed fraud, then at that point he had a duty to disclose it to you.

Even if he failed to disclose it to you, as president, you would not have any personal cause of action against him, any cause of action would be the board taking action against him for breach of his fiduciary duty and ethical duty to the village and malfeasance in his office for failure to act on the known fraud.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney