lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
15417118

My terminally ill sister is being put in a nursing home today

My terminally ill sister is being put in a nursing home today after a five year losing battle with ovarian cancer. Her husband doesn't earn much, but he has $45,000 in some sort of company insurance fund, which pretty much represents their entire life savings. Their house (in the State of Maine) has been neglected and is badly in need of repairs. He has been told that they "have too much money" to qualify for Maine care and that he must spent hid existing assets down to $3,000. He was due to retire just about now. Is there ANY way at all that he can hold on to the little money he has?
Thank you for posting your question to JA/Pearl. Legal questions often take time for research or I may be offline so please be patient, I will reply.

I am not sure who gave him that information as to how much money he can retain but that is incorrect. The house and one vehicle is not a countable asset and he is considered the "community spouse". He is allowed to retain sufficient assets and income to provide for his needs. He needs to sit down with either the nursing home staff or the Medicaid caseworker to go over what he is allowed to retain in his particular situation.