How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What will be my tax rate if I work in afghanistan as a Contractor?

This answer was rated:

What will be my tax rate if I work in afghanistan as a Contractor? Not under military active duty but supporting the same mission.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

What state is your residence in? I cannot give you your definitive tax rate because that is based on a whole number of factors including your home state, your total income, any above the line deductions on your tax return. I can give you a picture of home much income is excluded from tax in the US and the qualification for that exclusion.

Please let me know if you still want to talk to me about this information?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Home state CT. Rate at 96,000 per year. I do not know if I have the option to initiate tax deduction. If not , I am trying to figure how much will be asked of me at the end of one year. I generally have no deductions, should I reconsider what is deductible under this role? Will the US give tax breaks to non-military service members overseas in a combat zone? Yes please provide me what you can.
Okay. Now that I have a better idea of what you are asking you are in a great position. You do qualify for the Foreign Earned Income exclusion so long as you have been out of the country earning the income for 330 days of the tax year. The exclusion is $87,600 plus a housing allowance of $26,280. You would be included just like military personnel.

Your income would also not be taxable in CT since you did not earn the income in CT. You would need to file a federal income tax return but can exclude all of your income based on the reported $96,000 gross income. Here is a link to the IRS website regarding the exclusion:,,id=182017,00.html

I cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you already know. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.


Unfortunately, sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. I hope you appreciate that I have given you an accurate understanding of the law. I will not just tell you what you want to hear.


Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.


Please show your appreciation for my candor by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.


Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

John Legal and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you