How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is all very new to me as it has escalated from verbal

This answer was rated:

This is all very new to me as it has escalated from verbal abuse to physical abuse, but I feel I should not let drop even though we are still married for now. I want him to know he can't do this. So what should I expect to happen at court?
Thank you for your follow-up.

I can understand your concerns and your worries. Nobody can tell you whether or not what you are doing is correct but yourself, and if you want to do this to protect yourself, then it is a valid reason in this instance.

What will likely happen is the State is going to levy the charges, and your spouse would have a chance to defend. You will likely be asked to testify and take the stand. You will be sworn in and asked about what took place, who started the event, how it was escalated, and the State will likely ask a more-or-less chronological review of the facts. Then his attorney would be able to cross examine and ask you about potential inconsistencies or irregularies and try to maybe show that the event did not occur as shown. Then the judge will issue a ruling once all witnesses, arguments, testimony, and statements are reviewed.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you