Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My nephew was killed in a tragic horrible tractor trailer accident

Customer Question
and his "SUPOSSEDLY" married wife...
My nephew was killed in a tragic horrible tractor trailer accident and his "SUPOSSEDLY" married wife of only 3 years has already gotten a huge life insurance from his work and not to say how much more to come.
My question is, he has 3 children "NONE" from her and I suspect she was married 3 times prior and I can not find aywhere on line that she was legally divorced prior to so called marrying my nephew. I am so worried for my sister, his sister, his 3 girls and I know my nephew is driving me to do something to stop this.
Needless to say not even 2 months since my poor nephew of 41 was killed is she now in her home right now sleeping with another man who I was informed was going on prior to his death. Is there anything I can do?? I need help to stop this woman and her child before she destroys another relationship. Is there something I can do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
8/1/2012
Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 5 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Thank you for posting your question to JA/Pearl. Legal questions often take time for research or I may be offline so please be patient, I will reply.

I am very sorry for your loss.

I can not find anywhere on line that she was legally divorced prior to so called marrying my nephew.

Divorce records are not available online. You may be able to find her previous marriage record if you know what state she was married in and then contact her ex husband for information on the divorce. There is no centralized divorce records, they are county by county.

already gotten a huge life insurance from his work and not to say how much more to come.

There is probably nothing that can be done about this if they were legally married since he must have named her as his beneficiary rather than the children.

If there is the possibility of a wrongful death action, you can retain an attorney to represent his children. The personal representative of his estate will control any such lawsuit so it would be important to at least get someone appointed as co executor to represent the children. Other than that, there is not really any recourse available through the legal system. Best wishes to you and your family.
You did not tell me anything about prooving if she was divorced prior to marriage, does that not open another can of worms and unlawful marriage?
lwpat
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney