How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LADYLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LADYLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I need an attorney to file a claim in the Magistrates Court

This answer was rated:

Do I need an attorney to file a claim in the Magistrates Court in Spartanburg? I had a small RV hit by a Swift Co. tractor trailer on I-26 because he filed to yield coming from the I-85 on ramp. $4200 estimate to fix the RV

LADYLAWYER : Hello, Thanks for choosing! I look forward to helping you with legal information today. Please give me a moment to review your question and to answer you.
LADYLAWYER : If you are speaking of Tennessee's small claims courts (also known as the Courts of General Sessions), then yes, you may file there without an attorney.
LADYLAWYER : You are able to claim up to 25k in small claims.
LADYLAWYER : You may file in the county where the defendant resides or works, or where the accident happened.
LADYLAWYER : I noticed you asked about a city and said the state was TN, but because you asked about magistrates court, you may be talking about another state. Is that so?

Since the accident happened in SC, i thought it maybe should be filed there?

The accident happenedin Spartanburg, SC. I livein Tennessee

LADYLAWYER : Gotcha, thanks. Yes, the magistrates court in SC are considered the same thing as small claims. You may file without an attorney and seek up to 5k.
LADYLAWYER : You are well within your gifts to file there since that is where the accident happened.
LADYLAWYER : *rights
LADYLAWYER : Autocorrect, sorry.

I'm an engineer, and certainly not an attorney, is it very involved to file?


LADYLAWYER : No, that's what small claims is designed for.
LADYLAWYER : The clerk has all the forms and can mail them to you.
LADYLAWYER : You may even be able to get them online but you will have to call and find out.
LADYLAWYER : Just fill out the forms, send them back in with the filing fee and then the defendant will be served the lawsuit.
LADYLAWYER : You will have one chance to mediate the claim and then you will have a trial if you reach an impasse in mediation.

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try.

Are we "hung up?"

LADYLAWYER : I don't think so. Can you see my typing?
LADYLAWYER and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you