How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the state of tennessee there is a law that if you have a

Customer Question

In the state of tennessee there is a law that if you have a returned check that hasn't been collected in thirty days they can sign a warrant on you and make you pay up to 400.00 court cost and the amount of the check. Well I wrote a check at the end of june for groceries and the check posted the next day, but my payroll check didn't post to the next day after the check was returned. I attempted several times to return to the store and pay it, but they couldn't find it. Then I went to pay it today and they said it had been turned in to the courts. The courts clerk told me they had been trying to contact me and the letter was returned. I have not moved and I have not closed out my bank account. I then told the court clerk that I was going to talk to the people at the cooporate office. When I went to the cooporate office the lady took my money order and I went to the car. When I was about to pull off four ladies come out screaming and yelling and threw my money order and receipt at my head and pulled on my car. It flew out the window and they began stumping on it. I was terrified and called the police when I turned the corner. When the police arrived they stopped and talked to them then called me over(not listening to what had went on) they told me that they couldn't take my moneyorder and I needed to leave I left and stopped to use the bathroom at another store and the police followed me and when I came out he threatened to hancuff me saying this is also there property...which I didn't know that at the time. I have been seriously trying to pay my debt and they have refused to accept it. I am a single african american woman. I can't afford to pay up to 400.00 court cost for a 90.00 check for groceries for my kids. To be honest all of they people that were rude to me were caucasans. Do you thing this is why they have done me this way. Is there something I could do to avoid the court cost and still be able to feed my three children.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes still waiting on an answer.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am so sorry to learn of your experience. Your original question asked if a warrant can be issued for a bad check, am I correct?