Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If I've lived with my boyfriend for 8 years, and he's been

Customer Question
incapacitated in an accident, can...
If I've lived with my boyfriend for 8 years, and he's been incapacitated in an accident, can I make any claim to his property or money? We've been together since August of 2004. He never changed his address to mine...all his mail goes to his parents and his license is their address also. We live in Pa
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
8/1/2012
Lawyer: John Legal, Attorney replied 5 years ago
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Did you ever exchange marriage vows or words that clearly established an intent to be married? This is not you saying, we want to be married in the future, but actually agreeing to be married sometime prior to January 2005.
No. There was never an engagement.
I'm not seeing a response...or a question to respond to.
Unfortunately then I have some bad news. As an unmarried couple you do not have any rights any property or money that is in his sole name. You would have rights to property that you acquired or to any bank accounts that are in both names. However, being a "girlfriend" does not afford you any legal rights in PA.

I was asking the question earlier to try and see if you could make a claim that you where common law married. However, without vows prior to 2005 that is not an option.

If he is mentally competent enough to grant a power of attorney then he can possibly consent to give you some property by written agreement. The legal standard to execute a power of attorney and a legal agreement are the same. However, this would be something that would be voluntary from him and does require him to be legally competent.

I cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you already know. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Unfortunately, sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. I hope you appreciate that I have given you an accurate understanding of the law. I will not just tell you what you want to hear.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Please show your appreciation for my candor by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear *****..."

Thanks,

No thanks, I'll just get a free consultation with a local attorney.
Is there something I can do to earn a better rating from you?

I am sorry that the law does not support your rights. I am happy to have a conversation on here if you think there are facts you could provide me that could change your situation.
John Legal
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney