Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

We live on property of a non-profit organization.On this property

our home was invaded by...
We live on property of a non-profit organization.On this property our home was invaded by their adopted children. In preparation, their defense now (5 months later) wants to come in our home and get pictures. The police already got pictures, the prosecutor told us we didn't have to allow them in... but now they are pushing their way in by going to the non-profit board of directors.. who are saying we have to let the defense in.. Can they do this?
7/30/2012
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
When you say you live on the NPO's property, are you leasing it from them, or are they simply allowing you to stay there?

Are you paying rent?
My husband is a board member, we have lived here for 14 years. They did not consult my husband on this issue. They are just asking us what day is best. We have never paid rent. Our volunteer work for the camp ministry has always been part of living here.. i.e. volunteer in exchange for rent and amenities.
I see. Since you are not the property owner and have no legal entitlement to quite enjoyment of the property under a lease, then you have to do what the board of directors requests and allow the Defense in.

However, this is not the end of the issue. The request to inspect the property is part of the discovery process in the lawsuit. What you need to do is file an objection to the request and Motion the court for a Protective Order prohibiting the Defendant from entering and inspecting your property.
Thanks so much. The bigger picture is is that we had warned this board for a long while (documented) that there were problems, and they ignored our warnings. We feel the organization actually contributed to this event by allowing and fostering a hostile work environment (slander, insubordination, and allowing drunken parties on the property by men known for legal trouble and outbursts of anger while drunk). Them allowing the defense for their "protected adopted's" feels like victimization all over again. We can't leave because current obligations to their subsidiary that has business on the same property. We will be filing a objection as long as it doesn't hurt the prosecution... and appreciate your answer
Good Luck
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
TexLaw
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney