Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is a docket Sounding bad news for a Defendant, its a minor

County Violation, Ordanance, violation of...
Is a docket Sounding bad news for a Defendant, its a minor County Violation, Ordanance, violation of park rules, empty glass beer bottle on Beach in Florida, Lee County. A docket Sounding date and time has been set, what does this mean for the Defendant ? and what options does Lawyer have in this situation, since the Defendant lives in another State. Not Guilty has been filed, commitment form filed by defense, can this simple charge get dropped by Attorney in Defence between today and the Docket Sounding Date in two weeks ?? Going Crazzzzy in Illinois !
7/26/2012
No, a docket sounding is where the court schedules a date to see if some plea agreement can be reached. This is a minor charge and your attorney should be negotiating some deal with the prosecutor, it is just a date to see if the prosecutor and you can come to some type of deal or if the prosecutor is willing to consider a dismissal or some deferred sentence with dismissal. This date is not a big deal at all.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

so at this time I need not worry about having my butt in Lee Co. Fla. in 2 weeks, I am very concerned, since I have no record at all ! Ill pay a damn fine, just dont want to be railroaded, for something stupid, 1 empty bottle, glass on the beach by my bag. u think this will drop or at least a fine will satisfy the courts ?
No, while you need to check with your attorney, but generally he should be able to get you a deferred adjudication, which means after 6-12 months the charge will be dismissed and you do not have to worry about it after paying the fine.
Please be more specific to your answer of (no) to your most resent response ! Thanks !
I am sorry, I was saying that you did not have to get to the court in two weeks and it is something generally your attorney can handle without you being present, but you need to check with him to see exactly what he wants you to do and you need to tell him you will pay a fine if he negotiates a deferred adjudication with a dismissal.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney