How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JPEsq Your Own Question
JPEsq, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience:  Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JPEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When my son was 16 he and a friend of his, did damage to someone

This answer was rated:

When my son was 16 he and a friend of his, did damage to someone's home. He had a judgment against him for over $5.000. Since he was a minor the judge is making me pay the restitution. I could not pay it at the time. Now I have a garnishment on my wages. Now that my son is over 18. Is there any way that I get the garnishment taken off of me and have him liable for this.

Unfortunately, the act was committed when he was a minor, and thus he would have to agree to "ratify" the judgment as an adult. The fact that he is now an adult, would not mean that he would now become legally responsible for the judgment.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that there is no way for you to force this onto him legally at this point. Sorry. I wish I had better news, but this is the reality of your situation. Please understand that my responsibility is to give you a legally correct answer, which is what I have done.

JPEsq and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions