How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask D. WINOGO ESQ. Your Own Question
D. WINOGO ESQ., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4714
Experience:  10+years of experience in all matters of civil litigation and Hearing Officer/Arbitrator
Type Your Legal Question Here...
D. WINOGO ESQ. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my fiancee and I were together for 20 years. He left me with

This answer was rated:

my fiancee and I were together for 20 years. He left me with no warning with no car , no income, and no means of supporting myself in the manner to which I am acostomed. can u off any advie for some help here!
Fortunately, South Carolina actually recognizes common law marriage. This means that as long as you and your fiancee held yourselves out to others as a married couple, then you had a common law marriage and you can file for divorce from your fiancee and the court will direct him to provide you with spousal support (alimony).
D. WINOGO ESQ. and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does New Jersey also recognize the same? Common law marriage and divorce?
New Jersey does not have common law marriage, although they would recognize a common law marriage if it was legally valid in another state, such as South Carolina.