How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16628
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed a police report saying someone stole money from my

This answer was rated:

I filed a police report saying someone stole money from my car, although the money was stolen it was not taken from the car. I went into the police and filed another report stating that i was mistaken and that the person was not in fact in my car. The police now want me to come up with someone on my own and wear a wire to try to catch someone selling drugs and are threatening me with jail time. what are the possible consequences. the only thing i am facing is filing a false police report.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Can you please explain to me as to why police has offered for you to become an informant in a drug investigation?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i was trying to get off opiates by way of suboxone treatment. I tried to buy it off the street but the individual took my money and ran off. I filed a police report saying what happened except i said the person was in my car when they weren't. The police called me in and said they knew what happened and that the individual wasn't in my car. I did everything through a friend so i don't have any texts or contact with the person selling the drugs and i was told by the police the only thing im in trouble for is filing a false police report. At this point the police told me i could and should file another report stating that the person was not in my car, so i did. It has been two days and they just called and said they can make it all go away if i can think of anyone on my own and help them by being an informant and wearing a wire. I have a 2-year-old daughter. Doing this really scares me for her safety and mine.
Thank you for your follow up.

Did you ever admit to the police that you attempted to buy illegal drugs and were ripped off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not in the police report, but I did admit it when they talked to me. They said that I was not in any trouble for any kind of drugs, just for lying on the police report. By the way, everything on the report was true except for the guy getting into my car. I gave my money to my friend who took it to the person selling the drugs. The police know all this because of texts between the girl and the guy.I had no texts. It is a very small town and I'm wondering if they are just trying to trick me into doing this.
Thank you for your follow up.

Did you ever admit it that you had intentionally given false information to the police or did you simply tell them that you were mistaken or there is some type of an error?

Do you have prior criminal history?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They told me they had it on camera that he wasn't in the car so i did admit it. i have one DUI from five years ago and that is all. The police told me if I wrote another police report saying he wasn't in the car that it would look better to the state prosecutor. I wrote in the second police report that I was mistaken (not lied) and that the man was not in my car. This is not being questioned, the police only say I lied about the man being in my car.

Thank you for your follow up.

A criminal charge of filing a false police report is a first degree misdemeanor and if you are convicted if this charge the maximum sentence is 6 month in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

However, since you do not have much of a criminal history and nobody was hurt as a result of your false report, it is unlikely that you would be sentenced to any jail time, even if you are convicted of this crime and it is definitely not worth to risk your life by becoming an informant and to wear a wire in a drug sting in exchange for not being prosecuted for this misdemeanor.

At this point I would strongly suggest that you consult and retain a local criminal defense attorney and let this attorney handle any communications with the police and/or prosecutor.
Alex J. Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you so much for your help. What I did was a huge mistake and an act of desperation, not normal behavior and although I did commit a crime I'm hoping for a good outcome.I just graduated college last month and am already enrolled to go back in the fall, I have also joined a medical clinic and am getting counseling to help fight opiate dependency. You have been extremely helpful. Thank you again.