How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a contract agreement for a garage for our motor home

This answer was rated:

i have a contract agreement for a garage for our motor home a add on he has been paid and 11400. and i have paid add 5000. for material and it has not been finished .what can i do .
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances. Please clarify: are you dealing with a business or a contractor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

he does add ons the name is XXXXX XXXXX top lives down the road


What state are you located in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
wake forest nc
Thank you. Do you have a written contract with him?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes and one year guarantee
Thank you. You have two options.

1. Sue him in small claims court for breach of contract. Small claims court is part of the District Court Division. It handles civil cases where a plaintiff requests assignment to a magistrate and the amount in controversy is $5,000 or less. The principal relief sought in small claims court is money, the recovery of specific personal property, or summary ejectment (eviction). A magistrate presides over small claims court. There is no jury and usually no lawyers. A person who loses in small claims court may appeal for a trial by jury before a judge in District Court.

2. Call the local police and seek criminal charges against him for fraud and conversion (taking your money and making it his without delivering on the promised service).

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Continue Conversation link.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you