How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33927
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a severe allergy to corn products and the oils airborne

This answer was rated:

I have a severe allergy to corn products and the oils airborne of popcorn. However my principal last year could not believe that I was allergic and continued to bring in corn chips and heated corn dishes. Each time I went to the ER with anaphylaxis . This disrupted my teaching and my health. I let her know that each time this happened the reaction would be worse and it has. The last time theER gave me double the medicine and them gave me 2IV shots of Valium to calm down the epinephrine . To me she is playing on the edge with ADA. She is not protecting me but she would react in a heart best if it was a child . So ? - I now have to go to the mayo clinic in Minn this week because it is si life threatening. What are your thoughts about having a meeting with HR and her immediate boss a nd my husband or alternative witness to lay out my accommodations and the results of Mayo and if proper protection is not followed further action will be taken.
I need you to be a little more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what are your thoughts" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry. Do you think it's a good idea to have a meeting at the beginning of the school year with my principal and her bosses along with a witness for me? So we are all straight at the beginning. She brought a witness in when she was wrong so it's a little tense.
Yes, it certainly is a viable course of action. Be aware that they do not have to agree to allow you to have a witness there.

You may also want to speak to a local employment lawyer and have them send a letter outlining your "reasonable accommodation".

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you