How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34763
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I amxtrying to figure out if sea and ski vacations is a scam

This answer was rated:

I amxtrying to figure out if sea and ski vacations is a scam ornot
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

DO you mean "sea to ski" vacations out of Colorado?

If not what company are you referring to?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes that is correct. My time of. 72 hours has passed it has been a week and from what I have learned I would like out.
Thank you

Sea and Ski is a "timeshare company" ask a good question

"are they a scam"

Frankly, I believe all timeshares are "scams"...any business that relies on high pressure sales to stay afloat, in my opinion, is a scam.

But that does not make the business illegal.

Frankly, most timeshare companies follow the law.

The law in Colorado for canceling a timeshare contract is 5 calendar days after sale. So if a week has passed, it is too late to cancel the contract without recourse.

If you have a contract with a timeshare company, your obligated to the contract. The best way to "get out of this" is to either

1. Sell the interest to someone else so you can pay off the debt or

2. Negotiate with the company to cancel the contract...perhaps you can get them to take back your interest if you pay them...sometimes this is possible...but its up to the company to agree or not.

Short of that, you can stop paying...if you do, then understand the company could sue you for breach of contract and take steps to garnish (take) your income or assets.

There is no "magic bullet" for these contracts...the timeshare companies are having as hard a time as anyone in this down economy...they are struggling to keep alive...and will do what they can to force you to pay this contract. The best way to resolve is to negotiate with them to resolve.

You can consider bankruptcy as well...though that is a fairly extreme step to deal with a would remove the debt.

Sorry to have to bear bad news

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What could be a reasonable settlement to get out? Also would the bank of america credit card help me with my battle. Finally can you confirm that the company is not registered with the better business bureau?
You can complain to BofA, but what you describe sounds like a normal business transaction, so BofA is not required to refund your money.

Reasonable? That depends on what you owe them. As I mention, time shares are taking a beating on this economy...there is less and less money free for such they are happy to have you and your income stream.

But everything has a price. At some price, they will be willing to let you walk.

Now...if you are contemplating bankruptcy? And let them know it? That could give you some leverage in negotiations. Otherwise, if you have assets and they know it...then they are going to want most if not all of the money you have promised to pay them. This is since they know if you do not pay, they can sue you to force you to pay.

As for the BBB? I do not have access to their database so can not tell you who has or who has not registered with them.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My sense from what you are saying is try to make the best of it?
I did red tha one of the consumers who responded Said that the colorado business bureau was helpful in getting there money back
I am telling you that your right to terminate the contract has passed. So you can not "walk away" without recourse. it possible to convince them to cancel the contract? Sure. And it may be an organization like the BBB can assist with this. My point is that since you no longer have the right to cancel, it will be an uphill battle to get out of this contract for no or little cost. Perhaps not impossible. If the organization sees that it is better off letting you off the hook than not, they may do so. So making your case public may help create pressure for this company to allow you out of the contract.

P. Simmons and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you