Juliana
Juliana, Attorney
Experience:  23 years of experience; former prosecutor, magistrate, child support attorney
17008935

I am buying a mobile home, the parks says one pet. I have

I am buying a mobile home, the parks says one pet. I have a cat and a companion dog. Does my dog count as a second pet?

Thanks for your question.

If your dog is considered a service dog, and that status is supported by a letter from your doctor, it should not be considered a second pet. In order to keep a service dog in a "no pets" or "pet restricted" housing situation, you are invoking your rights as a disabled person under the federal Fair Housing Act. The Act has specific documentation requirements that your doctor's letter must address.

Here is a link to the "Best Friends for Life" Humane Housing for Animals and People" booklet that explains your rights to keep a service dog in all types of housing situations.

http://www.ddal.org/pubs/bestfriends/

Please read this booklet, and make sure your doctor has composed his/her letter as suggested in the booklet, since many doctors are not familiar with disability housing law as it pertains to service dogs in a "no pets" or "pet restricted" housing situation.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Juliana

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I have a compaion dog not a service dog.

I see that you have given me a negative rating. I would appreciate it if you would allow me the opportunity to continue this discussion with you before you proceed to give me a negative rating and relist the question.

To clarify, the Fair Housing Act (as well as other federal laws) include companion dogs as well as service dogs. I realize there is a distinction between a companion dog and a service dog, but for purposes of this discussion, the same procedure in dealing with your mobile home park (i.e., presenting them with an appropriately worded letter from your doctor) as I've described in my previous post is applicable.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please continue this discussion without giving me a negative rating or relisting the question, as this is entered on my record at Just Answer, and I do not get credit for my work. Thanks.

Juliana