How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a house my ex fiance in Dec 11. The Deed says 65%

This answer was rated:

I bought a house my ex fiance in Dec 11. The Deed says 65% her 35% goes to me. SHe also put down the entire down payment. She now wants to split up and says I am not entitled to my 35%. The deed is filed with county clerks and it says 65/35 - What is legal standard here? The house was purchased for $885,000. Do I have a good case to claim the entire 35% There are no other written side agreements .
Hello and welcome,

On what basis does your ex wish to deny you the 35% interest in the property?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Because I put down nothing.I spent 2 and half years fixing up her old house which she sold for a profit and put procedes of that sale into new house with me on deed.she thinks the extenuating circumstances are that I get nothing from sale of house. It has gone up in value. She wants her entire down payment first then I get 35% which may be little or nothing . Basically Just because I put down nothing(i supported her and her children for 2 years) she thinks I am owed nothing. But I claim deed says 35% my 35% on deed was to account for labor and money spent on other house. Just because she has decided to split up with me doesn't mean that she gets to dictate the terms of the sale of the house. Deed says 35% and I want 35%
I see.

Where the title specifically sets out a percentage of ownership by the parties, a court would typically enforce the interests set out in the deed.

While she could argue that you did not contribute to the property, your argument would normally be that any imbalance in the contribution to the property represented a gift to you and that intent is indicated by the deed itself.

She would typically need to allege fraud or other wrongdoing by you for a court to refuse to enforce the written agreement.

Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Thank you and all the best to you,


Tina and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you