How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What happens if I continuously avoid being served

This answer was rated:

What happens if I continuously avoid being served lawsuit documents? Nobody lives at the address they have on file with me, so serving with anybody else at the household over 16 y.o. wont happen.  Can they leave letter at my door   ?   or they need my actual signature  to prove that i have been served ?
Im in  sate of Texas thanks
While avoiding service of process may delay the process of a lawsuit against you, it does not prevent it from happening for ever. After a party attempts personal service in good faith and is unable to accomplish that service, the court will allow service of process to go forward under the rules of Substituted Service. This can generally be by certified mail to the last known address or by publication in a newspaper.

If you know that someone is attempting to serve you with a lawsuit and there is no strategic advantage in avoiding the service, such as the timing of other legal filings, then it is best to accept the service and file an answer. Otherwise, you risk substituted service and a default judgment against you.

In your case, you should contact the party trying to sue you by mail and let them know you have changed address, so that they can arrange for service at your address. Or, you should simply contact the attorney representing the party and tell them you will accept service.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In my case time is very important, im thinking about selling my property quick before judge can place a lien on it. How long time do i have ?
How many time they will be trying to serve me before they can publish the notice in newspaper?
There is no set answer to how many times they have to try to serve you personally before a judge will grant permission to serve you by substituted service. It's a "reasonableness" standard within the discretion of the court.

However, in my experience, it is generally a matter of weeks. If they find out that you no longer live at your last known address, they will file the motion for substituted service and will get permission to serve you by mail or the newspaper relatively quickly.
TexLaw and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you