How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55711
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a vintage car from a guy in Alabama. It requires a

This answer was rated:

I bought a vintage car from a guy in Alabama. It requires a notarized bill of sale and registration documentation to title in Tennessee where I live. He only provided a non-notarized Bill of Sale and registration turns out to be in his brother's name. He will not respond to my calls/letters. Can I sue him in Alabama court for fraud?

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. A buyer in your position does have recourse.
If a seller is not willing to remedy the situation by refunding the
buyer's money, the buyer can file a claim not only as a breach of contract
case, but also as a deceptive trade practice action, which will entitle the
buyer not only to actual damages, but also an additional amount equal to 3
times that as punitive damages. That typically provides plenty of incentive for
the seller to settle this on the buyer's demands rather than to face the
possibility of these punitive damages; but, if it does not, the buyer has the
right to file the suit.

I hope this has given
you information that has been helpful to you. If the information seems more
general than specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to provide
information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up
question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up
questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break

If you do have any additional questions about
my answer please click the "Continue
Conversation Link"
so I can provide you with a fully
satisfactory answer.
be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive
no credit for my answers

Thanks for allowing me
to be of service to you. Please be aware that the information provided here is
not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws
and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not
intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does
not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has
been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I need to hire an attorney in Alabama or can I hire a local attorney in Tennessee to file the suit?

Unfortunately, you will need to engage an attorney in Alabama since he/she will need to be licensed in Alabama in case the case goes to trial. But, you can have an attorney in Tennessee send the demand letter...many times all that is necessary is the demand letter to get your money back.

Richard and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you