How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37852
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a supplier changes his company name and does not have a

This answer was rated:

If a supplier changes his company name and does not have a current service agreeement signed by me which has his new company name does that hold me obligated to his terms when I want to cancel the service agreeement. Second, if the service agreeement was signed 9 years ago and has an automatically renew for the next period of 36 months do I still have to obligate the terms from 9 years ago? Thank you.
Good afternoon,

I'm very sorry to hear of the situation.

The fact that a company may change it's name or may even sell the business to a new owner, does not work to terminate the contracts in existence immediately before the changeover. Rather the contractual obligations of the both the customer, and the company remain the same.

Likewise, a contract signed initially 9 years ago, which contains an automatic renewal clause in it, continues to be effective as to future automatic renewals, until such tome as the customer, or the company, give notice under the contract as to the non-renewal for a future period of time.

The only way that you can avoid the obligation of the automatic renewal, is to abide by the terms of the original agreement and give the proper---typically written---notice of intent not to renew for the new period of time---24 months or 36 months.

I wish you the best in 2012.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Please recognize that the rating system only gives me credit for working with you when you click one of the 3 stars/faces on the right (positive rating). Also, kindly rate me based solely on my assistance to you in understanding the law, and not based on whether my answer is what you were hoping to hear. I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation, and I trust that you can understand how it would be unfair for me to be punished by a (negative rating) ----the first 2 stars/faces----for having been honest with you about the law.

Thank you,

LawTalk and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you