Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My husband cheated on me. Can I legally send emails/text messages

My husband cheated on me...
My husband cheated on me. Can I legally send emails/text messages to his mistresses husband who has no idea about the affair? Is there anything illegal about me sending these through the mail as well? My husband said that his mistress said if her husband found out that it would be a long drawn out battle in court. I just wanted to know where I stood before I sent these things over. Is there anything that can happen to me? Is there any legal retaliation I can face?
6/15/2012
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am truly sorry to learn of your experience. You will be interested to know that PA law outlaws: 18 Pa.C.S. § 2709

§ 2709. Harassment

(a) OFFENSE DEFINED.-- A person commits the crime of harassment when, with
intent to harass, annoy or alarm another, the person:

(1) strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects the other person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same;

(2) follows the other person in or about a public place or places;

(3) engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which serve no legitimate purpose;

(4) communicates to or about such other person any lewd, lascivious, threatening or obscene words, language, drawings or caricatures;

(5) communicates repeatedly in an anonymous manner;

(6) communicates repeatedly at extremely inconvenient hours; or

(7) communicates repeatedly in a manner other than specified in paragraphs (4), (5) and (6).

You may want to take this into account before making any efforts to communicate with her.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to give you excellent service!"
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
So I could be sued for Harassment if I send the emails/text messages my husband shared with this woman, to her husband?
Repeatedly sending unwanted messages intended to annoy someone is criminal harassment and can result in criminal prosecution.

If you just print them all out and put them in an envelope and give/deliver it to him (a one-time communication), then there's no problem.

I hope this helps to clarify things!
Ok, thats what I was planning on doing, printing everything out sending it once and being done with it. (Just so he knows what his wife has done) Shes saying that she will sue me for ruining her name, degrading her as a person and harassment. I just wanted to know if that could possibly happen, and if there was anything at all she could bring legally against me.
So long as you legally obtained those materials, you can do with them what you want.

If you did not have permission to access your husband's e-mails, you can be criminally charged with hacking.

Heck, your husband can send the e-mails to him. Your husband can do whatever he wants with them!
Awesome, and this is perfectly legal if done only once in PA? I'm sorry for the back and forth I just want to make sure I'm 100% safe :)
Once is fine. Repeated is a problem.
Great! Thank you so much :) I appreciate it very much!
Most welcome.
how do i rate you?
I hope, favorably!
oh absoutley, I just dont know where and how to pay you for your answer lol i havent gotten an option for it yet
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney