How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a bank account. I add Mrs Ng to my account with full

This answer was rated:

I own a bank account. I add Mrs Ng to my account with full privilege. She never uses the account. She got a writ of execution against her. The bank empties my account (hold until Jun 27,2012)Can I fight?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but, unfortunately, no, you would not have any recourse against the person who took the money. The law presumes that all money in a joint bank account is owned by all signers, and there is no way to overcome that presumption. The only exception is if the money in the account was from something like Social Security, which is exempt from being attached.

What you can do is file suit against the other person for reimbursement, under the idea that it's not considered fair for you to have to pay her debts. You should also close the account and open a new account in your name only, to avoid being held liable for any other debts she may have.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.
Lucy, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you