How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34298
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i made a deal to sell two motorcycles to a guy, I let him take

This answer was rated:

i made a deal to sell two motorcycles to a guy, I let him take possession of them and we agreed to meet the next day to transfer the titles at which time he would pay for the motorcycles he let his brother in-law take them to his house (they had their own deal) the brother in-law was going to work on them in exchange for one of the motorcycles. That night they had a fight and now the buyer has backed out of the deal with me and the brother in-law wont give me the motorcycles
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

How much? How much money are we talking about?

And you still have title, correct??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
$600.00 yes I still have the titles

You have a few options;

First, since you have title to the bikes, and what you describe, you are clearly still the legal owner (since the contract for sale was never completed).

First, if you can retrieve the bikes yourself without causing a "disturbance" then go for it. This is called "self help"...example, say the bikes are parked out front of the home. If you can take them without incident, since you are the owner, no one has any legal claim to get them back. That said, the law requires this happen without you can not use force to accomplish this...that would violate the law.

Next, you can report this to the police and request they assist. They may. Or they may not. Most likely they will tell you that it is a 'civil matter' and to use the courts. But you can sure try. I would.

Next, you can sue. You are the you can sue the person who has the bikes now AND the person you sold them to, both in small claims court. You can only collect the total value of the bikes...but you can get a judgment against both and seek to enforce the judgment on whichever person has income to garnish or money in the bank to take. You can sue them in small claims court so you would not need to hire a lawyer.

Let me know if you have more questions.
P. Simmons and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you