How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask D. WINOGO ESQ. Your Own Question
D. WINOGO ESQ., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4714
Experience:  10+years of experience in all matters of civil litigation and Hearing Officer/Arbitrator
Type Your Legal Question Here...
D. WINOGO ESQ. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

the assoc that live in refuses to put wheel chair ramps I am

Customer Question

the assoc that live in refuses to put wheel chair ramps I am a disiabed vet of viet I asked and was told that if I forced them to put in a ramp to the mail box they would move them back out on the street I am in awheelchair all of my rights are violated in this assoc
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  D. WINOGO ESQ. replied 5 years ago.
You should send the association a letter stating that if they will not allow you to pay for the installation of a wheelchair ramp, then you will file a lawsuit against them for violation of the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and the FHA (Fair Housing Act). However, the association can require you to pay for the ramp out of your own pocket.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1 am 78 and refuse to pay for the rampI have been beaten and put in thehospital what I need is a good lawyer
Expert:  D. WINOGO ESQ. replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, since the association is a private organization and not public accommodations, then according to federal law (Fair Housing Act), then the association has to let you have the ramp put in, but they do not have to pay for it. There is nothing to be accomplished by hiring an attorney.

You should write a letter demanding that the association install the ramp as per your rights under federal law (ADA and FHA). Put the ball i their court as to how to respond. If they flatly refuse altogether even if you offer to pay for it, then you can file a discrimination lawsuit against them.
Expert:  D. WINOGO ESQ. replied 5 years ago.
I trust that you have received the answer to your legal question. If you need any more help, let me know!