How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55294
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On May 14, I agreed to assist my ex-boyfriend with my help to complete the registration an

Customer Question

On May 14, I agreed to assist my ex-boyfriend with my help to complete the registration and provide safety on his 2004 Cadallic CTS from his children. During such time I suggested he put my name on the vehicle. He stated I could drive the car as long as I needed. He has been dealing with an addiction and because I didn't want him to lose (pawn or sell for dope) the car I was willing to help. Our relationship has come to an end and he now states that he wants his car back. I've invested money into the car. I've replaced the key, the alarm and put the vehicle back up to specs as far a maintenance,I've also insured the vehicle. (Allstate denied him, due to his hx with the company, and informed me that even with his name on the car he would be considered an exclulded driver) I need help in to handle this situation accordingly. What rights do I have when it comes to keeping the vehicle in my possession
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. Given that your name is XXXXX XXXXX title, for whatever reason, you own 50% of the car. As a result, you have as much right to the car as he does and if you purchase his interest in the car, you should only pay 50% of the value of the car because you already own 50%.

I hope this has given you
information that has been helpful to you. If the information seems more general
than specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to provide information
and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up question, please
remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my
answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.
If you need additional clarification on this question, please do not
hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you
further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be aware that
the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general
information. All states have intricacies in their laws and
any information given is simply information only and specifically is not
intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does
not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has
been helpful to you.

Richard and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So he keeps saying his coming to get the car. Now I know he doesn't have a key and even if he did I had to get an alarm put on the car due to other issues. If he comes and takes the car without informing me, can I report the vehicle stolen

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
He is on the title as the police are not likely to do anything. BUT, in trying to repossess a car, one is not allowed to either break and enter or disturb the with an alarm on the car, you could prevent the taking based on these parameters.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much. I may have more questions later.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
I'll be here if you need me. If you simply direct your question to me, I'll be happy to help! You're welcome.

Related Legal Questions