How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55598
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 19 yr old daughter had an accident. She was stopped and

Resolved Question:

Our 19 yr old daughter had an accident. She was stopped and getting ready to park when a car came around the corner and took off part of her rear bumper. Our insurance copy informed me that the other party has 2 eyewitnesses that state that the other party was parked and my daughter hit them in reverse. They are now claiming bodily injuries. The car is registered by my Mother's name (her grandmother who has no real possessions) but We are the policy holders. We own 2 houses, 2 cars and We have some cash. Can they come after us?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. Your daughter is an adult. As parents you no longer have legal liability for any of her liabilities. You are not on the title to the car and have no liability for the car or daughter's actions. If the claim exceeds the insurance coverage...which is unlikely....then any suit would be against daughter and/or the person to whom the car is registered, but not you simply because you are the parents.

I hope this has given you information that has been
helpful to you. If the information seems more general than specific, please be
aware that we are only allowed to provide information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up question, please
remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my
answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.
If you need additional clarification on this
question, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what
I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please
be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and
any information given is simply information only and specifically is not
intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does
not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has
been helpful to

Richard and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you