Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am on the do not call registry , but receive calls from XXX-XXX-XXXX

Customer Question
several times a day....
I am on the do not call registry , but receive calls from XXX-XXX-XXXX several times a day. I have filed a complaint and asked them to stop calling. How can I get them to stop?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
6/1/2012
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 5 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

I apologize but, for security reasons, the telephone number you input has been removed by the system (it doesn't realize that it's not your telephone number you're posting). Can you retype it, but add a few spaces between the numbers, instead of dashes?
801 742 8160 thanks. It is the number of a pharmaceutical company that we do not use anymore and have not used for several years. they won't leave us alone.
Thank you.

Initially, the first thing to do is make a log and file a complaint with the FTC each time they call, as it sounds like you're doing. There are fines for each call made in violation of the Do Not Call Act, and they can add up. If you are able to answer the phone when they call, let them know that they do not have permission to contact you, for any reason, and that you have reported them to the Federal Trade Commission. Let them know that some companies have been charged up to $30 million in penalties.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/donotcall/mediacenter.html

You can also tell them that, if they continue to call, you'll consider it harassment in violation of state law and you'll sue them for damage. Most companies back off before you get to this point. If talking to them doesn't help, sending a letter via Certified mail might get their attention. You can also file complaints with the Better Business Bureau and the Utah Attorney General.
http://attorneygeneral.utah.gov/against_fraud.html

Another option is to call your phone company. See if they have a way of allowing you to block specific numbers - many phone companies do.

Good luck.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Lucy, Esq., Attorney