How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16367
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the custodial parent who is scheduled to go to court

Customer Question

I am the custodial parent who is scheduled to go to court concerning the back child support I am owed. Do I need an attorney on my behalf? A Texan.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 years ago.

Hello there

You do not need an attorney here because there is nothing that the attorney can do that the state child support enforcement division can't do on your behalf regarding actually getting the back child support paid. Obviously, you want to convey your wishes to the state rep and at this point the court has many alternatives open to it to try to force a payment from him -- including putting him in jail (you should ask for this because the deadbeat dads seem to find somewhere to come up with a chunk of money when they want to get out of jail -- even if it is only a partial payment).


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is the dilemma. This song and dance has been going on for almost two decades. They put him in jail let him out for $300 partial payment every time. He never makes another payment for three to five years until they serve him again. In the mean while I have raised our son. I am still unhappy. I already knew your answer for the past 20 years. Im sorry you could not help me.
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 years ago.


I really am sorry that I cannot help either -- but that is why I told you not to hire an attorney because there is nothing we can do to get the court to hold him accountable and you would just be throwing good money after bad. The state has the authority to suspend his passport, driver's license and any professional or trade licenses that he may hold for work -- and you should ask the child support people if they have made these moves of going after him for all of these items as well as putting him in jail. If you cannot get your money you can at least try to help make him miserable by getting his driver's license suspended and as many things that you can do under the law to put pressure on him. You also might want to try hiring a private investigator to see if he is hiding any assets from you and the court (that is probably better spent than on a lawyer here if you believe there might be some hidden assets somewhere). Again, I wish that I could offer you a miracle wand here -- but one does not exist.