How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father wanted to get the windows replaced in his home.

Resolved Question:

My father wanted to get the windows replaced in his home. He lives in Ft. Worth, Texas. He talked with a individual that was doing odd jobs in the area about doing the work. The man said he would order the windows. My father had to give him 5000 (unlike my father and certainly not something I would do.) of the 8000 dollar quote up front to cover the window cost. Two weeks later the man called my father to say he could not get the windows and would not be able to do the work. He said he would try to pay him back the 5000 when he could locate another job as he had spent my fathers money. What is the best avenue to try to recover this money without spending anotherXXXXX Any options? Small claims? lien on his property? something? Thanks, Lance
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - His only option is to file a suit against the guy and once he has a judgment he can file a lien against any property and attach any bank accounts. If the guy has no money there will be nothing to attach but a suit is the only action your Dad can take. He can file in the small claims court where he will not need an attorney and they have the forms available.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not sure how likely it is that this guy will be easy to locate or have any assets. I am assuming that going through the motions of getting a judgement in small claims court is pointless if he has no assets or will there be any teeth in the judgement that could hinder his work or something else if there are no assets to collect?
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Without a judgment you will have no chance to collect. It doesn't cost much to sue in small claims.
Dave Kennett and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you