Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
3396227

I gave an attorney a $5,000.00 retainer fee for my adult sons

I gave an attorney a $5,000.00 retainer fee for my adult son's case. When the case is resolved, will the attorney return the money to me? How can I make sure the money is returned to me. I also do not want the money used for any other case but the one stipulated when the attroney was hired.
Dear JACUSTOMER - If you instructed the attorney to return any unused funds then that is what the attorney should do. You have a right to an accounting of all fees from the attorney. This is true unless the attorney quoted you a flat fee to take the case and is not operating on an hourly fee basis. In that case you would not be entitled to any return of the money. If the attorney refuses to provide an accounting you can file a complaint with the Bar Association for attorney misconduct.