How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I gave an attorney a $5,000.00 retainer fee for my adult sons

This answer was rated:

I gave an attorney a $5,000.00 retainer fee for my adult son's case. When the case is resolved, will the attorney return the money to me? How can I make sure the money is returned to me. I also do not want the money used for any other case but the one stipulated when the attroney was hired.
Dear JACUSTOMER - If you instructed the attorney to return any unused funds then that is what the attorney should do. You have a right to an accounting of all fees from the attorney. This is true unless the attorney quoted you a flat fee to take the case and is not operating on an hourly fee basis. In that case you would not be entitled to any return of the money. If the attorney refuses to provide an accounting you can file a complaint with the Bar Association for attorney misconduct.
Dave Kennett and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you