How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thank you for the advice from previous question. Not sure

Resolved Question:

Thank you for the advice from previous question. Not sure if i mentioned that we are not together anymore, but she now has missed 4 payments which i have been doing so it does not hurt my credit. toyota has added me to the title and is now with the state of indiana getting changed. ( 1 ) with both names on the title who is legally owner of the car. ( 2) do i have the power to get the car. ( 3 ) once i pay off the loan ( which is next week ) can i sell the car to get my money back and lastly ( 4 ) how does the money work that she has paid out from previous payments. thank you for the advice
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

With both names on the title, you are each considered co-owners of the vehicle, each having equal rights to possession of the vehicle. With that being the case, you are legally able to pick up the car at any time.


You do have the legal ability to sell the car but you will need to take the co-owner into consideration. Any sale of the vehicle will need to be signed off on by both owners, meaning you would need her to sign off on the sale before it could be concluded.


Once the vehicle is sold, you would legally be able to divide the proceeds in whatever way you deem appropriate. If you believe you are entitled to a greater portion, and she is agreeable, then you could certainly do that.


Please let me know if you need clarification on anything.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions