How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Bastrop, Texas where (which advocacy group or agency) can

Resolved Question:

In Bastrop, Texas where (which advocacy group or agency) can a renter turn tofor help with unsafe and unhealthy living conditions when landlord refuses toremedy or fix the situation?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.

I do not think there is a local advocacy group in Bastrop for tenant's rights.

If you want to see if someone will assist you in advocating your claim for free, contact the Austin Tenant's Council

They may help you even though you don't live in Travis County.

However, to the most forceful thing you can do is take matters into your own hands by filing a suit in small claims court/justice of the peace against your landlord. You can seek to force the repairs or to cancel the lease and move out. You don't need a lawyer to do this. It costs about $100.00.

Also, if the living condition is truly unhealthy and unsafe, you can send a letter to the land lord stating that you are going to repair and deduct from rent. This is technically allowed under the law, although you will likely end up in justice court anyway.

Bastrop County Justice of The Peace (NNN) NNN-NNNN
Bastrop, TX 78602
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are mice in the mobile home, a water leak that is getting the carpet
wet and could lead to (if it doesn't already exist) mold, and there is a
foul odor emanating from beneath the mobile home. There is a 9-month old
baby in the house. Is there some health agency that I could also
turn to for help. I just spent close to $2000 dollars moving into this
place and I really have no more money to move but I really want to get my
money back so can look for a healthier and cleaner place to live. Landlord
seems unwilling to do any repairs.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.
There is no government agency that is going to help you with this problem. The water leak and the foul smell are good reasons to go down to the Justice Court and file the suit. This is the only way you are going to get out of the lease.

It's not as hard as it seems. Justice Court is just like Judge Judy. And the lawsuit is a form you fill out. The judge's are respectful of your problems and will explain the process to you.

I really think that is your best bet. You want to claim that there is a material breach of the lease agreement and that you want to cancel the lease and you want your moving expenses paid for.

Good Luck,
Zachary D. Norris
TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you