Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am involved in a divorce in California and am in Family Court.

Customer Question
I have two "C" corporations...
I am involved in a divorce in California and am in Family Court. I have two "C" corporations in Nevada. My wife's attorney is trying to seize control of these entities from me. Can a judge in CA Family Court do that. REG
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
5/27/2012
Lawyer: TexLaw, Attorney replied 5 years ago
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney

Zachary D. Norris :

Hi

Zachary D. Norris :

I'd be happy to help you with your question.

If your share in the C corporations are community property, then the judge can make these part of the divorce estate and you can potentially lose control of the corporations. Sometimes the court can even force the liquidation of the corporation in order to fairly divide the marital estate. If you need more detail, please let me know.

-Zach
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
TexLaw
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney