How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6423
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a writ of possession because I could not pay my den

Resolved Question:

I have a writ of possession because I could not pay my rent and my landlord would not enter in to an agreement with me. I have a new job now and can pay in installments. Am also about to file bankruptcy as well due to a lot of debt. Is there any way that I can get a stay of writ approved. What are legal reasons for me to get a stay of writ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Since the landlord has obtained a judgment of possession before you will file
for bankruptcy, the bankruptcy will not stay the eviction. [see 11 USC §362(b)(22)]


If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. This will allow me to receive credit for the answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any other legal reason that I could use to get a stay of writ?
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.
Not that I am aware of. Bankruptcy stays are usually one of the strongest, quickest and most effective remedies available. If the BK stay will not help here, an ordinary stay is a long shot at best and usually not supported by law in the LL-Tenant context.
Maverick and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you