How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a contractor with a class A license do home remodels in

This answer was rated:

Can a contractor with a class A license do home remodels in the state of California?

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

It appears that you would need a class B or a specialty class C license to do the residential remodeling depending on the scope of your remodeling work. The class A is more for engineering type work as follows:

"A" General Engineering

A general engineering contractor is a contractor whose principal contracting business

is in connection with fixed works requiring specialized engineering knowledge and skill,including the following divisions or subjects: irrigation, drainage, water power, water supply, flood control, inland waterways, harbors, docks and wharves, shipyards and ports, dams and hydroelectric projects, levees, river control and reclamation works, railroads, highways, streets and roads, tunnels, airports and airways, sewers and sewage disposal plants and systems, waste reduction plants, bridges, overpasses, underpasses and other similar works, pipelines and other systems for the transmission of petroleum and other liquids or gaseous substances, parks, playgrounds and other recreational works, refineries, chemical plants and similar industrial plants requiring specialized engineering knowledge and skill, powerhouses, power plants and other utilities plants and installations, mines and metallurgical plants, land leveling and earthmoving projects, excavating, grading, trenching, paving and surfacing work, and cement and concrete works in connection with the above mentioned fixed works.

(B&P Section 7056)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What if they have a class C-7 license?

Class C-7 would allow you to do the following type of remodeling work:

A communication and low voltage systems contractor installs, services and maintains all types of communication and low voltage systems which are energy limited and do not exceed 91 volts. These systems include, but are not limited to telephone systems, sound systems, cable television systems, closed-circuit video systems, satellite dish antennas, instrumentation and temperature controls, and low voltage landscape lighting. Low voltage fire alarm systems are specifically not included in this section. (832.07 CCR)

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. This will allow me to receive credit for the
answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Here is more detail on what is going on. I had a solar contractor come and install a solar system. I asked if he did remodels as well. He replied that he did remodels. He brought by a contract with the solar install then wrote by hand "Kitchen remodel" under that heading he wrote 15% markup on materials and labor rates for various workers. I signed the contract. This was over a year ago and he sent out workers sporatically.. The work was taking so long I filed a complaint with the state contractors license board. He called me and asked why I filed the complaint and I told him it was taking too long to complete the job. He said it was lack of payment but I had never recieved any statements for the work done. The contractor license board told me his contract was illegal and he was in violation for working outside his license. The contract was for 37,000 but did not include the kitchen or roof we had him install. I paid him 66,000 and he wants another 20,000.

So was the solar contract for 37k?

Was the kitchen and roof contract for 49k of which you already paid him 29k and he now want the balance of the 20K?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the solar contract was 37k. There was no price on the contract for any of the other work done. He did have an invoice from the roofing contractor for 15k.

Contracting without a license is usually a misdemeanor, carrying a potential sentence of up to six months in jail and/or a $500 fine, and a potential administrative fine of $200 to $15,000.

Plus, you don't have to pay the contractor for the work that he is not licensed to do. He can't sue you in court for it. The contract is voidable at your option.

Maverick and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I am meeting with a local lawyer on Thursday about this matter.
Thanks for the bonus...